Help! Lookin’ for Catholic Faith Discussion Resource

help - catholic family faith resource

Hi friends! I’m looking to you today for a few good recommendations! I’m on the hunt for a resources to use in our family for faith discussions on a daily or weekly basis. I don’t need a home RE program – our local parishes offer wonderful resources for that. But, I do want to have more meaningful discussions in our family about our Catholic faith – what it is and how we live it out day to day. And I need something to help me. A book, a website, a monthly subscription? Might be a homeschool resource? Dunno.

Have any ideas for me? I have a kindergartener through teenager, so I need this thing to be able to reach all of us – but I’m totally fine with taking time to explain things to the youngers or up it a notch for the olders.

You’re so smart, I’m sure you have a great suggestion!

So here are a few things I’d love to see covered in this my dream ‘Family Faith Discussion’ resource:

• Catholic Faith Teachings
  • Scripture
  • Real Life Applications
  • Ideas for Daily Prayer
  • Encouragement of the Sacraments
  • And anything else awesome!

Please share your ideas here in comments!! Thank you!!! You’re so awesome!

you may also enjoy reading:

Comments

1. Beth Cowles says

Resources: the YouCat, Saint of the Day websites, The Word Among Us, http://www.loyolapress.com has several helpful resources (3-minute retreat, Sunday Connection, etc.), whatever publisher of your church’s RE texts will have a website with resources that connect to the lessons each week, too. My husband reads the Saint of the Day, then presents a version that the younger children can understand during our family prayer time. Sometimes that sparks a discussion later in the day and we look up the saint in the Illustrated Lives of the Saints or other child’s saint book or website to learn more. Sometimes after Mass we simply ask “what was your favorite part of Mass today?” We try to get the youngest to answer first, so he has to come up with his own answer. ;) We are working on helping The Boyz really understand the Mass right now, even the teenager has questions about what we do and why we do it. But, a lot of times we let him try to answer the younger ones’ questions to sort of test him to see if he’s been paying attention all these years of learning and living the Faith. Then, my husband and I step in to straighten out any misconceptions or clarify things. My husband, being a convert, still learns things about Tradition every cycle of the Church Calendar. And I’m no stranger to learning something new, either. We talk to The Boyz about how, even as adults, it’s important to continue to learn about our Faith and particularly pray and work on our relationship with Jesus, so that we know, really know, what He is asking of us. Modeling all of this really keeps us on our toes as parents and co-travellers on this Journey. I am encouraged by the MANY families in our community who are working so diligently to pass on the Authentic Faith to their children and willing to learn right along with them.

• Lauren says

These are great ideas Beth. I know you and Kristofer are such great examples of the faith to your children. I’ll be sure to check out the resources you listed above! :)

2. says

I guess I err on the side of not “doing” a lot to promote discussions in an intentional way when it comes to faith. I’d rather do the background work and then be ready when things come up.

What would this background work consist of?

Maybe subscribing to Magnificat and delving into its resources myself. Also, I highly recommend doing the Liturgy of the Hours along with your husband. It’s usually not possible to do them all! My husband and I do the Office of Readings in the car on the way to daily Mass. It’s just the right length for our drive, and it is an “hour” that carefully prepares you for the readings that are coming and the ones that have occurred, especially on the previous or coming Sunday. Even if you just do the one for Sunday it would be amazing. (You can find it at universalis.com and there’s an app for your phone! $25 for the whole thing!)

In the Office of Readings, you will be provided not only with Scripture — along with the Universal Church, but with sermons and readings from Church fathers and documents. You will thus be prepared to have good conversations with your children! And each other.

Praying Vespers with the children (or Matins) is fruitful as well. Those prayers are fairly short and include a short reading from Scripture. Thus you can pray but also have material at hand for conversations later (not “discussions” but just normal back-and-forth).

When you live the life of the Church, you are “doing” most of what you need to do, and can relax and trust!

• Lauren says

Oh, Leila! You’re always like a deep breath! Thank you. I think maybe I’m panicking a bit. Wondering if we’re missing the boat somehow, and we’ll blink and they’ll all be grown up and gone and confused. But they’re really NOT that confused at all. I think our children really do know quite a bit about their faith, but I just want to be sure that we’re doing enough. We do subscribe to the Magnificat, which is my lifeline. And we occasionally will use it to pray night prayer as a family. Maybe we should do that more, as opposed to our regular list of intentions and litany. And, you’ve made me realize that a lot of what I hope for could be accomplished with just good dinnertime/car time/after school time conversation. Talking about current events, our day, the readings, etc… and pulling in faith when necessary. And, I think our older children would really like the idea of reading the Office of Readings. We even have extra Liturgy of the Hours books around the house, I think.

3. Katja says

This is probably not exactly what you are looking for but I thought I would share the address of the website with you all anyway: http://www.thecatholiccatalogue.com. This is a fun website which brings you interesting stories, articles etc. relating Catholic faith together. I have learned e.g. about saints and Catholic musicians that I didn’t know before and recently I was able to find us a beauftiful Epiphany tradition: using the figures of the nativity and holy water, going from room to room and blessing our home together.

4. Mitzi says

Hi! I stumbled onto this question via Dwija …

We just began a discussion group at my Church on Matthew Kelly’s Rediscovering Catholicism. He’s a very good, dynamic speaker well in tune with authentic Church teaching (meaning he’s solid – nothing undoctrinal in his talks or writings) who is easy to understand and very personable. His recorded talks are amazing, too. His website is http://dynamiccatholic.com/. Pax Christi!

5. says

What Leila said! :)
    A friend of mine says, “Stay close to the logic of the liturgical cycle since theology is first and best done in the furnace of the divine liturgy.” It’s some of the best advice I’ve been given on how to be a better Catholic. I think your family will benefit greatly simply by following along with and discussing the daily readings. I know it’s been beneficial for me.

I’m not sure how/if this might play in, but Pope Francis will be making the sacraments the topics of his upcoming Wednesday Audiences. You may have seen that he talked about Baptism this week. Maybe you can print off the text of his audiences and discuss as a family? His words are so accessible and “digestible,” might be a good way to get conversation going about the sacraments.

6. Celia says

Hello,
    I just “found” your blog by googling Caryll Houselander, after reading one of her meditations in the Magnificat! (need to go to the library TODAY!)
    Amazing how the Holy Spirit leads!

Back to your topic: do you go to Fr. Robert Barron’s site Word on Fire? I would think his mini-clips would offer much to discuss/ponder, etc.
    Happy Sunday!

7. says

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre
    talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting
    videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

8. says

Why it Pays to Use CLAD Genius as Your Primary Tool for Marketing
    on Craigslist. com, this data includes everything
    in the name from the photographer, for a camera
    settings on the location the place that the photo was taken.

9. says

Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

10. says

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site so i came to return the desire?.I’m
    attempting to in finding things to improve my site!I suppose its good enough to use some of your ideas!!

11. says

brakowało jej coraz wśród rówieśników i tam było kilka dzieci w niej regularne szkoła ,
    że było produkujących to dla niej trudny do uczestniczyć
    normalnego podstawie

12. says

This is the perfect blog for anyone who would like to understand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I
    really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that’s been written about for years.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!